- Information Collection. TurtleWise collects the following information (collectively, “Personal Information”):
- User-Provided Information: You may provide to TurtleWise what is generally called “personally identifiable” information (such as your name, email address, postal mailing address, home/mobile telephone number, or demographic information) when using the Services. We may collect and store this personally identifiable information. If you correspond with us by email, we may retain the content of your email messages, your email address and our responses. If you use your Facebook, Twitter, or other social networking site (“SNS”) account information to sign in to TurtleWise, we may collect and store your SNS user ID. If you connect your TurtleWise account with your SNS account (such as to enable posting from TurtleWise), we ask for your permission to collect certain information from your SNS account (such as information from your SNS profile). You also provide us information in User Content you post to the Services. Your questions, answers, chats and other contributions on the Services, and metadata about them (such as when you posted them) are collected and stored by TurtleWise.
- “Cookies” Information: When you use the Services, we may send one or more cookies (small text files containing a string of alphanumeric characters) to your computer. These cookies (a) store your username and password; (b) analyze the usage of the Service; (c) customize the Service to your preferences; and (d) control the advertising displayed by the Service. TurtleWise may use both session cookies and persistent cookies. A session cookie disappears after you close your browser. A persistent cookie remains after you close your browser and may be used by your browser on subsequent visits to the TurtleWise Service. Persistent cookies can be removed. Please review your web browser “Help” file to learn the proper way to modify your cookie settings. Please note that if you delete, or choose not to accept, cookies from the TurtleWise Service, you may not be able to utilize the features of the TurtleWise Service to their fullest potential.
We may collect different types of information about your location, including general information (e.g., IP address, zip code) and more specific information (e.g., GPS-based functionality on mobile devices used to access the Service), and may use that information to customize the Service with location-based information and features. If you access the Service through a mobile device and you do not want your device to provide us with location-tracking information, you can disable the GPS or other location-tracking functions on your device, provided your device allows you to do this.
- “Automatically Collected” Information: When you use the Services or open one of our HTML emails, we may automatically record certain information from your web browser by using different types of technology, including “clear gifs” or “web beacons.” This “automatically collected” information may include Internet Protocol address (“IP Address”) or other device address or ID, web browser and/or device type, the web pages or sites that you visit just before or just after the Services, the pages you view on the Services, and the dates and times that you visit the Services.
- Information Usage. TurtleWise uses the Personal Information that we collect to operate, maintain, enhance, and provide all of the features and services found on the Services. We may use your email address to send you Service-related notices (including any notices required by law, in lieu of communication by postal mail). You can control receipt of certain Service-related messages on your Settings page. We may also use your contact information to send you marketing email messages. If you do not want to receive such messages, you may opt out by following the instructions in the message. TurtleWise uses all of the Personal Information to understand and analyze the usage trends and preferences of our users, to improve the way the Services work and look, and to create new features and functionality. TurtleWise may use “automatically collected” information and “cookies” information to: (a) personalize our services, such as remembering your information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you visit the Services; (b) provide customized third party advertisements, content, and information; (c) monitor and analyze the effectiveness of the Services and third party marketing activities; (d) monitor aggregate site usage metrics such as total number of visitors and pages viewed; and (e) track your entries, submissions, and status in any promotions or other activities.
- Information Protection. TurtleWise uses commercially reasonable physical, managerial, and technical safeguards to preserve the integrity and security of your Personal Information. We cannot, however, ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to TurtleWise or guarantee that your information on the Service may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards. If TurtleWise learns of a security systems breach, then we may attempt to notify you electronically so that you can take appropriate protective steps. TurtleWise may post a notice through the Services if a security breach occurs. Depending on where you live, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach in writing. To receive a free written notice of a security breach you should notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Information Disclosure. Your privacy is very important to us, and we are not in the business of selling your Personal Information. We do, however, disclose your Personal Information in a variety of circumstances.
- Any personally identifiable information that you voluntarily choose to include in a publicly accessible area on the Services, such as a public profile page or in any user Content will be available to other users who access that content. We may also syndicate content exposed in public areas of the site to third party services. Once you make your personally identifiable information available in any of these ways, it may be collected and used by the recipients without restriction.
- TurtleWise discloses automatically collected and other aggregate non-personally-identifiable information with interested third parties to assist such parties in understanding the usage, viewing, and demographic patterns for certain programs, content, services, advertisements, promotions, and/or functionality on the Services.
- TurtleWise works with third party service providers to provide website hosting, payments, reward fulfillment and maintenance as well as other services for us. To the extent it is necessary for these service providers to complete their contractual obligations to TurtleWise, these third parties may have access to or process your Personal Information. Generally, these disclosures are made under terms comparable to this policy, and the recipients are limited to using the information in accordance with the purpose for which it was provided.
- TurtleWise may also disclose your Personal Information if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to comply with state and federal laws (such as U.S. Copyright law), in response to a court order, judicial or other government subpoena or warrant, or to otherwise cooperate with law enforcement activity.
- TurtleWise also reserves the right to disclose your Personal Information that we believe, in good faith, is appropriate or necessary to take precautions against liability; to protect us and others from fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful uses or activity; to investigate and defend ourselves against any third party claims or allegations; to assist government enforcement agencies; to protect the security or integrity of the Services; or to protect the rights, property, or personal safety of TurtleWise, our users, or others.
- Your Choices. You may, of course, decline to share certain personally identifiable information with TurtleWise, in which case we may not be able to provide certain Services to you. You may update, correct, or delete your profile information and preferences at any time by accessing your account preferences page. Please note that while your changes are reflected promptly in active user databases, we may retain all information you submit for a variety of purposes, including backups and archiving, prevention of fraud and abuse, and analytics.
To protect your privacy and security, we take reasonable steps to verify your identity before granting you account access and before allowing you to make corrections to your information. You are responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your unique password and account information at all times.
- Children’s Privacy. TurtleWise does not solicit or knowingly collect personally identifiable information from children under the age of 13. If TurtleWise obtains actual knowledge that it has collected personally identifiable information from a child under the age of 13, we will promptly delete such information from its database.
Last Updated: January 26, 2016